Friday, March 20, 2009

Native American Psalm 23

[NOTE: Not my original work, taken as a composite from various sources]

The Twenty-third Psalm
- Native American Version -

The Great Father above a Shepherd Chief is.

I am His, and with Him I want not.
He throws out to me a rope,
And the name of the rope is love.

He draws me to where the grass is green,
And the water’s not dangerous.
I eat and lie down and am satisfied.

Sometimes my heart is very weak and falls down,
But He lifts me up again, and draws me into a good road.
His name is WONDERFUL.

Sometime soon, or it may be a long, long time,
He will draw me into a valley.
It is dark there, but I'll be afraid not,
For it is in between those mountains
That the Shepherd Chief will meet me
And the hunger that I have in my heart
All through this life will be satisfied.

Sometimes He makes the love rope into a whip
But afterwards He gives me a staff to lean upon.

He spreads a table before me with all kinds of foods.
He puts His hand upon my head, And all the "tired" is gone.

My cup He fills ‘till it runs over.
What I tell is true; I lie not.
These roads that are "away ahead"
Will stay with me through this life and after;
And afterwards I will go to live In the Big Tepee
And sit down with the Shepherd Chief forever.

No comments: